Author Topic: Modern roundabouts in Ohio  (Read 18329 times)

Offline ragerunner

• 947'-Key Tower
Re: Modern roundabouts in Ohio
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2006, 04:24:27 PM »
Sorry,
Those numbers are all reductions. I forgot to add the - in.
Colorado Front Range - 300 days of sunshine, mass transit, and an outdoor paradise.

Offline buildingcincinnati

• aka grasscat
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Building Cincinnati isn't a job, it's a lifestyle
    • Building Cincinnati
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2006, 01:35:30 AM »
From the 8/22/06 ABJ:

PHOTO: Painted arrows on Ridgewood Road reveal the traffic pattern as motorists approach the new roundabout at Hametown Road on Monday, Aug. 21, 2006, in Copley Township, Ohio.   Paul Tople/Akron Beacon Journal

What comes around goes around
In a roundabout way, dangerous intersection is made safer in Copley

By Bob Dyer

Don't believe the hype.

The Cleveland media spent Monday morning crowing about "the first modern roundabout in Northeast Ohio'' opening at 5 a.m. in the city's Tremont district.

Wrong.

Once again, the Cleveland media act as if "Northeast Ohio'' extends only as far south as Brecksville.

Let it be known that the first modern roundabout in Northeast Ohio actually opened at 3:15 p.m. Friday in suburban Akron...

Bob Dyer's column usually appears Fridays. Reach him at 330-996-3580 or bdyer@thebeaconjournal.com.

http://www.ohio.com/mld/ohio/news/15330962.htm?source=rss&channel=ohio_news
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 01:24:01 AM by Mildtraumatic »
THE ColDayMan's sig solidifies my status as a UO Hall of Famer.

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
  • Rebuilding the cities that built America.
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2006, 07:39:57 AM »
Summit County Engineer Greg Bachman has been touting these things as the best engineering concept to have come down the pike in ages. Until now, his proclamations have been met mostly by blank stares, simply because the nearest roundabout is in the Columbus suburb of Dublin.

That's not true either. There are numerous roundabouts in Cleveland's eastern suburbs, and one was built in the 1990s on West Road at Forestview Drive in Olmsted Falls as part of a new housing development (Forestview).
American Exceptionalism? The only thing exceptional about America is the over-inflated opinion it has of itself. It does some things well and some things stupidly, just like all the other nice addresses on this planet.

Offline zaceman

• 771'-Terminal Tower
    • zaklong.tumblr.com
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2006, 08:18:54 AM »
i guess its claimed that Dublin had the first ohio roundabout...?? if thats the case then what the heck is that thing i drive through off MLK to get into university circle?  And yea theres even some old roundabouts in Parma/Parma Heights if im not mistaken

Offline Magyar

• Former Ohio Highway Historian
  • 771'-Terminal Tower
  • Delaware County Historian
    • Last Louisiana Juke Joint
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2006, 12:53:15 PM »
Burton's roundabout (around the city square) has been around for forever and a day.

Offline mrnyc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • friends of the highline
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2006, 02:32:02 PM »
nice they are coming back ,but dont think the are inventing the wheel here. there are many of these in smaller towns all over ne ohio and even all over ohio (troy, somerset, taramack circle development in northland columbus). the ne ohio versions go back to the preferred style of the western reserve/connecticut history. and seems like they forgot all about university circle? don't ya love lazy journalism and developer, etc. hype?
"That whole rural thing. It's a joke." Ed Koch

Offline smackem81

• 468'-Scripps Center
  • Lost in cul-de-sac
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2006, 04:07:42 PM »
Seems like a pissing contest between cities. Is it really that big of a deal when a city gets a round about?

Offline zaceman

• 771'-Terminal Tower
    • zaklong.tumblr.com
« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2006, 04:10:40 PM »
not really, well id just rather see some accurrancy and maybe a little less hype about something thats been around for a while

altho if you want a pissing contest you should check out the threads about which college or university is the best in ohio

Offline RiverViewer

• 1450'-Willis Tower
    • CincinnatiRoads.com
« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2006, 04:20:54 PM »
^Which one?  Aren't there about eighteen of them now?  Jeesle...

Offline urbanlife

• 665'-Queen City Square
  • don't be complacent. innovate.
« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2006, 05:05:37 PM »
has anyone driven the new w14 roundabout at steelyard commons? 

i was through the ridgewood rd one on saturday.  looks great, would like to see more of these go up instead on more traffic lights.
"Never mistake motion for action." - E. Hemingway

Offline ink

• UO Supporting Moderator
« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2006, 07:28:52 PM »
I nearly found myself in an accident a couple weeks ago in the roundabout in Bridgewater Falls, two cars were going the wrong way! We had to stop, and they made me back up!

• aka grasscat
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • Building Cincinnati
« Reply #46 on: August 23, 2006, 10:59:37 PM »
nice they are coming back ,but dont think the are inventing the wheel here. there are many of these in smaller towns all over ne ohio and even all over ohio (troy, somerset, taramack circle development in northland columbus). the ne ohio versions go back to the preferred style of the western reserve/connecticut history. and seems like they forgot all about university circle? don't ya love lazy journalism and developer, etc. hype?

They explain the reasoning behind the term "modern roundabout" in the article.

Offline JDD941

• 555'-LeVeque Tower
« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2006, 03:44:36 PM »
Here is a question.....in a round about, isn't the traffic IN the circle supposed to have the right of way?   It seems some of the prior round abouts mentioned, the traffic in it has to yield to oncoming traffic....which to me seems idiotic (plus it does that disqualify it as a true round about?)

• aka grasscat
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • Building Cincinnati
« Reply #48 on: August 24, 2006, 06:15:05 PM »
^ As I always understood it, traffic entering the roundabout must yield.  That's the only way it makes sense.

Offline RiverViewer

• 1450'-Willis Tower
    • CincinnatiRoads.com
« Reply #49 on: August 24, 2006, 10:16:55 PM »
In most of the traffic circles I'm familiar with, the major road's through-traffic gets the right-of-way.  So in Sharon Center, the traffic either northbound or southbound on 94 gets to cruise straight through; the traffic either eastbound or westbound on 162 yields.  These are different, because instead of worrying about which road is doing the intersecting, all enterers yield...

So it's all right-hand turns, which are safer and faster; the rules are clear (just yield if you're coming up on it); and there's no unnecessary stopping...very cool.

Offline Magyar

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #50 on: August 24, 2006, 10:53:40 PM »

Ask KJP.  He's the journalist around here.

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #51 on: August 24, 2006, 11:36:33 PM »
Like we should ask you to speak for all drunken hicks as to why they say stupid things to incite fighting?
American Exceptionalism? The only thing exceptional about America is the over-inflated opinion it has of itself. It does some things well and some things stupidly, just like all the other nice addresses on this planet.

Offline mrnyc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #52 on: August 25, 2006, 12:09:07 AM »

yeah and i called developer bs. been there, done that.

• aka grasscat
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • Building Cincinnati
« Reply #53 on: August 25, 2006, 12:24:09 AM »
^ Well, you may disagree with his point.  I disagreed with the usage of the term "lazy", because the journalist went out of his way to explain his point.  "Wrong", I might go with.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2006, 12:24:44 AM by grasscat »

Offline mrnyc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #54 on: August 25, 2006, 04:50:48 AM »
no, lazy because he could have done a better job with the history of these things. after all, the big picture is that they are all over the place old and new, large and small. instead, looks like he fell for the developer and local political hype about it too much. and dont give me that roundabout is different from a traffic circle nonsense. to put it in fashion terms, that's just the new black. bah.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2006, 04:53:33 AM by mrnyc »

Offline KJP

• Premium Member
    • All Aboard Ohio
« Reply #55 on: August 25, 2006, 08:48:49 AM »
I had a problem with his point because he said I should be asked to speak for all journalists, including those who are lazy and hype crazy. That's like me asking a mayor why politicians are corrupt and grandstand on issues, or asking an attorney why they chase ambulances, or asking a rural citizens why they're drunk and uneducated. If you don't have the ability to judge people one at a time, then spare us the offense of your shortcomings.

Offline Magyar

• 771'-Terminal Tower
« Reply #56 on: August 25, 2006, 01:58:21 PM »
Like we should ask you to speak for all drunken hicks as to why they say stupid things to incite fighting?

Or you for all the snobish urbanites who proclam themselves to be better than the rest of society?

Offline RiverViewer

• 1450'-Willis Tower
    • CincinnatiRoads.com
« Reply #57 on: August 25, 2006, 02:02:22 PM »
Personally, I speak for all overweight, out of shape drunk guys who pretend to love the outdoors despite never actually, you know, camping or hiking and stuff...
« Last Edit: August 25, 2006, 02:02:58 PM by RiverViewer »

Offline JohnOSU99

• 574'-Carew Tower
« Reply #58 on: August 26, 2006, 01:43:02 AM »
The older "roundabouts" mentioned (troy, somerset, etc) are Traffic Circles which aren't the same as a roundabout.

If you live or work in Dublin, you better get used to them because the City Engineer loves them and there are several being designed right now.  I'm designing the roundabout at Avery Road and Tuswell Drive (between Shier-Rings and Woerner-Temple).  The longterm plan for Avery Road is to have a roundabout at all three of the above stated intersections.  Dublin is also looking to place roundabouts at the ends of the exit ramps coming off of US33.

• aka grasscat
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • Building Cincinnati
« Reply #59 on: September 05, 2006, 06:50:23 PM »
From ThisWeek Hilliard, 8/31/06:

Roundabouts discussed with school board
Thursday, August 31, 2006
By CATHY WOGAN
ThisWeek Staff Writer

The leveling of buildings along Cemetery Road prompted speculation that triangle roundabouts were being installed, according to Hilliard Mayor Don Schonhardt.

Schonhardt, joined by Service Director Butch Seidle and Traffic Engineer Letty Schamp, addressed the roundabout issue during a Monday night meeting of the Hilliard City Schools Board of Education...

http://www.thisweeknews.com/index.php?story=sites/thisweeknews/083106/Hilliard/News/083106-News-215626.html
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 01:28:42 AM by Mildtraumatic »

Offline mrnyc

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #60 on: September 06, 2006, 08:25:14 PM »
The older "roundabouts" mentioned (troy, somerset, etc) are Traffic Circles which aren't the same as a roundabout.

If you live or work in Dublin, you better get used to them because the City Engineer loves them and there are several being designed right now.  I'm designing the roundabout at Avery Road and Tuswell Drive (between Shier-Rings and Woerner-Temple).  The longterm plan for Avery Road is to have a roundabout at all three of the above stated intersections.  Dublin is also looking to place roundabouts at the ends of the exit ramps coming off of US33.

not really. you also just as easily could say they are a modern version of the same old thing whatever you want to call it or however you want to slice and dice them. one thing is crystal clear -- it's developerspeak hype much more than it is honest difference.

• aka grasscat
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • Building Cincinnati
« Reply #61 on: November 21, 2006, 07:49:16 PM »
From ThisWeek New Albany, 11/16/06:

Morse/U.S. 62 roundabout construction is under way
Neibarger's efforts protect the protectors

Thursday, November 16, 2006
By MIRIAM SEGALOFF
ThisWeek Staff Writer

Work on the much-anticipated roundabout at the intersection of Morse Road and U.S. Route 62 began recently.

The project has been nearly a decade in the making and involves at least four jurisdictions and more than $7-million in county and state funds.

"We've been waiting a long time," Gahanna city engineer Karl Wetherholt said. "We started the project off several years ago. Now to actually have it started is good."

http://www.thisweeknews.com/index.php?sec=newalbany&story=sites/thisweeknews/111606/NewAlbany/News/111606-News-260833.html
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 01:31:38 AM by Mildtraumatic »

Offline UncleRando

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Get on board!
« Reply #62 on: December 14, 2006, 09:01:25 PM »
Delaware plans Rt. 315 roundabout
Fate of Orange Road bridge not finalized
JANE HAWES / COLUMBUS DISPATCH
December 14, 2006

MAP: Proposed Roundabout Location
Columbus Dispatch

POWELL — Two roads will become one, but there’s no decision on the fate of a historic bridge. That was the plan presented last night at a forum to discuss Delaware County’s Orange Road bridge project.

After nearly eight months of analyzing five options, the county engineer’s office selected one but added a twist: Orange Road will be rerouted north to join Carriage Road, and a roundabout will be built on Rt. 315 at their juncture...

JaneEHawes@cs.com
http://www.dispatch.com/news-story.php?story=dispatch/2006/12/14/20061214-D7-00.html
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 01:33:27 AM by Mildtraumatic »

Offline noozer

• Global Moderator
  • Hail, Hail Freedonia....
« Reply #63 on: February 25, 2007, 05:10:28 PM »
ROUNDABOUT ACCIDENTS
‘Learning curve’ for Hilliard motorists
Sunday, February 25, 2007
Dean Narciso
THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

Two new roundabouts in Hilliard were intended to improve traffic safety, but they have proved to be hazards to some motorists.

Nine crashes have been reported at the roundabouts on Britton Parkway since they opened in late August...

By comparison, Dublin?s first roundabout, at Muirfield Drive and Brand Road, had one accident in its first six months and three in the first year, said Dublin Police Sgt. Ed Gozoski, who heads the traffic-enforcement unit.

dnarciso@dispatch.com

http://dispatch.com/news-story.php?story=dispatch/2007/02/25/20070225-C1-00.html
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 01:41:45 AM by Mildtraumatic »
"If "pro" is the opposite of "con", then does that make the opposite of "progress"..... "Congress" ? "

Offline Boreas

• 1450'-Willis Tower
  • The wooden shoe conspiracy
« Reply #64 on: February 25, 2007, 09:11:12 PM »
With snow on the pavement, motorists won't know what lane it is they are supposed to stay in.  Then the motorists will drive where ever they want to.  I don't see how this is distinct from the circles on Gates Mills Blvd at Shaker, Lander, and SOM Center roads.
Cleveland: all the cultural attractions of Traverse City, without the biting flies

Offline Quimbob

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Banned!
    • Blogging Isn't Cool
« Reply #65 on: February 28, 2007, 02:04:54 PM »
In the I-75 / I-74 area in Cincinnati:
Currently, ODOT is recommending alternative COL-A ("COL" stands for "Colerain"), see image below.  However, the Community Council is pushing for alternative COL-B, see image below.  While both alternatives give Northside full access to north- and south-bound I-75 and east- and west-bound I-74, COL-B includes two roundabouts, circled in red in the image for COL-B.  These would be unique in the tri-state area.  We hope that we can use the uniqueness of these features as a marketing device to draw people to the neighborhood.

http://www.northside.net

« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 03:56:18 PM by Mildtraumatic »
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. - H. L. Mencken

Offline UncleRando

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Get on board!
« Reply #66 on: February 28, 2007, 11:26:05 PM »
That sounds like a great idea, but sure enough ODOT is recommending the crappier one of the two.  COL-B would be great, and would actually beautify an otherwise un-beautiful feature....a roadway.  Good luck, and keep us posted!

Offline UncleRando

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Get on board!
« Reply #67 on: February 28, 2007, 11:28:12 PM »
This is not technically Ohio, but is sure as heck part of the Cincy metro.  This is what GBBN is proposing for the 'Ovation' site in Newport...there are a couple of roundabouts located in the plan:
http://www.gbbn.com/pub/photos/lg/sxaAtBDYcZhAzc.jpg
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 03:51:20 PM by Mildtraumatic »

Offline ragerunner

• 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #68 on: March 01, 2007, 02:12:18 PM »
If you want to see how well roundabouts can work for a city and increase traffic flow while allowing for traffic calming at the same time visit Carmel, IN. They now have 50 roundabouts in the city and are still building more. Accidents have drop, traffic flow has become better and they add to the aesthetics of the community. (Not bad for a road project)

http://www.ci.carmel.in.us/services/engineering.html

Scroll down to the bottom of the page to see videos and info on roundabouts.
Colorado Front Range - 300 days of sunshine, mass transit, and an outdoor paradise.

Offline UncleRando

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Get on board!
« Reply #69 on: July 16, 2007, 12:52:22 PM »
Not in Ohio but...

NKU roundabout on schedule
It will be a first for Northern Ky.

BY JOSEPH SZYDLOWSKI | CINCINNATI POST
July 16, 2007

Northern Kentucky University students can expect a new sight when they return to school in the fall: Northern Kentucky's first roundabout.

Located at the intersection of University and Nunn drives off U.S. 27, the $2.2 million project is on schedule, university officials said.

"Right now, everything is progressing very, very well," said Ken Ramey, vice president for administration and finance at NKU. "We'll be ready to go by the start of the fall semester."

« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 01:43:57 AM by Mildtraumatic »

Remove Ads