Author Topic: Grand and Historic Ohio Public High Schools  (Read 9869 times)

Offline ink

• UO Supporting Moderator
Grand and Historic Ohio Public High Schools
« on: January 23, 2010, 01:20:38 AM »
Grand, historic high schools ONLY

CINCINNATI - Hughes

CINCINNATI - Walnut Hills

CINCINNATI - Western Hills

CINCINNATI - Withrow

CINCINNATI - Woodward

CANTON - Lincoln

CANTON - Lehman (VACANT)

CANTON - McKinley (REPURPOSED)

CANTON - Timken

CLEVELAND - West Technical (REPURPOSED)

CLEVELAND - John Hay

CLEVELAND - John Marshall

CLEVELAND - Collinwood

COLUMBUS - North

COLUMBUS - South

COLUMBUS - West

COLUMBUS - East

COLUMBUS - Central

DAYTON - Roosevelt (DEMOLISHED)

DAYTON - Stivers

TOLEDO - Libbey (TO BE DEMOLISHED)

MIDDLETOWN - Middletown Senior (PLANNED FOR VACATION)

SPRINGFIELD - Springfield South (VACANT)

YOUNGSTOWN - South (REPURPOSED)

« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 04:06:54 AM by ink »

Offline Living in Gin

• The architect of good taste
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
    • Living in Gin
Re: Grand Ohio High Schools
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 01:34:52 AM »
Great series. My grandfather took his US citizenship exam at Hughes high school back in the 50's.

Although it's in Northern Kentucky and not technically in Ohio, Highlands High School in Fort Thomas is the pride and joy of my hometown, and the alma mater of my father, many members of my extended family, and a few friends.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 01:38:15 AM by Living in Gin »
It's all fun and games until somebody gets burned at the stake.

Online buckeye1

• Premium Member
  • UO Certified "Thread Cleaner"
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 02:12:51 AM »
Toledo Scott High School

Toledo Waite High School (cheap window replacements are about the only thing that distinguishes it from Scott)

Elyria High

Offline Scrabble

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 09:26:35 AM »
From a website about Oakwood (Dayton)

Offline MayDay

• Administrator
  • The HBIC from the CLE
    • Cleveland Skyscrapers
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2010, 09:59:47 AM »
Lots of great images and info at http://www.oldohioschools.com/

Here are some from my hometown and surrounding area:

Salem - Fourth Street School (demolished):
http://www.oldohioschools.com/columbiana_county_files/Columbiana%20Salem%20HS%202.jpg

East Liverpool - Central High School (demolished) - sorry about the huge image size:
http://www.oldohioschools.com/columbiana_county_files/Columbiana%20East%20Liverpool%20Central%202.jpg

Wellsville - High School (demolished):
http://www.oldohioschools.com/columbiana_county_files/Columbiana%20Wellsville%20HS%201.jpg
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 10:10:14 AM by MayDay »

Offline Scrabble

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2010, 10:00:38 AM »
^your images aren't showing up MayDay :(

Offline MayDay

• Administrator
  • The HBIC from the CLE
    • Cleveland Skyscrapers
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2010, 10:01:18 AM »
Yeah, looks like they don't allow hotlinking images, but the links work :-)

Offline Scrabble

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2010, 10:04:55 AM »
Cool site, but the links aren't working for me :(

Offline bumsquare

• 665'-Queen City Square
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2010, 11:11:24 AM »
Good high school names, Columbus!

Offline eastvillagedon

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2010, 12:26:44 PM »
Maybe not the grandest looking high school around, but this is my alma mater, soon-to-be-demolished, nearly 90-year old Thomas W. Harvey in Painesville (the new location, a couple of blocks away, opened around last Thanksgiving):
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 12:28:24 PM by eastvillagedon »

Offline Johio

• 947'-Key Tower
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2010, 12:29:32 PM »
I wasn't aware that they were tearing down Toledo Libby.
Living in Ohio vicariously through UO.

Conservatives for Transit: http://www.amconmag.com/blog/keep-america-moving/

Offline GCrites80s

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Running Free
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2010, 12:45:57 PM »
What, nobody wants pictures of the awful one story early-'60s tan laminated block with aqua accents and unfinished aluminum thing that I attended? Of course, that's how it was back in the '90s before the school-building binge. Now include a 1995 addition, a 2000 addition and remodeling of a few rooms, another 2004 expansion and new for '09-'10 they have added the 1984 middle school to the high school and built a new middle. Yay sprawl. The fun part is, that all these additions were built using the same growth projections that the housing bubble/last round of sprawl used, so these additions may never come close to capacity.

Offline eastvillagedon

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2010, 12:58:47 PM »
What, nobody wants pictures of the awful one story early-'60s tan laminated block with aqua accents and unfinished aluminum thing that I attended? Of course, that's how it was back in the '90s before the school-building binge. Now include a 1995 addition, a 2000 addition and remodeling of a few rooms, another 2004 expansion and new for '09-'10 they have added the 1984 middle school to the high school and built a new middle. Yay sprawl. The fun part is, that all these additions were built using the same growth projections that the housing bubble/last round of sprawl used, so these additions may never come close to capacity.
now that you've described your school so colorfully, you must post its picture! I must confess that the pic of my old school is only half of it--the original, historic part. To the left there's a hideous two-story wing built in the early 1950's (which included the main gymnasium, library and cafeteria), upon which was added a third floor--and completely incongruous in design--in the 1980's. So maybe demolition is not always a bad thing. LOL.

Offline urbanforever

• 629'-Rhodes State Tower
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2010, 02:52:44 PM »
we need to put up Rhodes high school... that's the Cleveland public school in Old Brooklyn..

Question:  Is woodward the Cincinnati school of the arts?

Offline ColDayMan

• Administrator
  • ♪♪ An Apollo Legend! ♪♪
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2010, 02:57:01 PM »
Great thread.
I love it when people come into a message board and immediately begin to mix it up.  I mean, Jesus, at least say hello!  Do you walk into a room full of strangers, pick a random woman, and tell her she's fat? - buildingcincinnati

Offline The_Cincinnati_Kid

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • The Big Daddy From Cincinnati
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2010, 06:56:46 PM »
Isn't that shot labeled Woodward in Cincinnati actually the old SCPA?

Edit:  That may have been Woodward High way back when prior to SCPA?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 06:59:03 PM by The_Cincinnati_Kid »
"Rock & Roll attained perfection in 1974, it's a scientific fact."- Homer Simpson

Offline ink

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2010, 07:53:53 PM »
Yes, the School for Creative and Performing Arts is/was in Woodward.

Offline C-Dawg

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Detroit Junior
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2010, 10:53:43 PM »
Toledo Scott High School

Toledo Waite High School (cheap window replacements are about the only thing that distinguishes it from Scott)

Elyria High

Rumor has it the designer of Scott/Waite killed himself after Waite was built. The school was built backwards! It was originally supposed to have its main entrance facing Front Street. By the way, both Scott and Waite were spared the axe under the Rebuilding Ohio Schools demolition program. And thank God for that. They're gorgeous inside and out, not to mention function as neighborhood landmarks/community centers.

TOLEDO - Libby (TO BE DEMOLISHED)

Edit: Libbey is still open! It got some funding and the Old South End protested its closure. But Toledo does have a ton of historic landmark schools that are abandoned. Some were already set to have come down but are still standing. There have been protests about Libbey and a few other historic landmark school buildings in Toledo that the school boards wanted to tear down. A lot of people are waking up to their value, plus realize it's a waste of money to tear down a structurally intact building that has potential for other uses. There have actually been a few conversions to offices, apartments, and artist studios. Hopefully that happens in the Old South End too. Libbey High and Jones Junior High are the best buildings. I pray to God they don't get leveled.

The State of Ohio has a very destructive agenda when it comes to these historic school buildings. Scott nearly got the axe, but so many Toledoans protested and voted to save it, that it is now included in the renovation category. If it weren't for people protesting, nearly every historic school in this state would be gone by now. Ohio's goal is to suburbanize the urban schools. Toledoans have gotten really pissed off about this. I hope they don't give up the fight. Saving Scott was certainly a big step in the right direction.

When you see what your tax dollars are building today to replace our old urban schools, it makes you want to both laugh and cry. The new schools are total jokes and can't hold a candle to solid landmarks like Scott and Waite that were built to last centuries. Also, there are lots of fuzzy numbers involved in this. Most of the renovation costs are inflated and a lot of new build costs are deflated. This is all designed to make renovation look too expensive. Many times it actually ends up being cheaper than initially expected while the new build ends up being more expensive than initially expected. There is serious bias at work in this state...

Do whatever you can to save our landmark school buildings.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 12:03:19 PM by C-Dawg Njaim »

Offline Ctownrocks1

• 574'-Carew Tower
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2010, 11:16:32 PM »
Did the title of this change cause I thought it said Grand Ohio High Schools - whoops.

Would Saint Ignatius in Cleveland count? I can't find a good photo though.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 11:34:03 PM by Ctownrocks1 »

Offline ink

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2010, 11:20:07 PM »
^^According to Old Ohio Schools, Libbey and Jones are both scheduled to be demolished.

Offline C-Dawg

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Detroit Junior
Re: Grand Public Ohio High Schools
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2010, 11:30:04 PM »
^Most the demolitions have been delayed, and Libbey was saved through protests. It's still open and houses about 1000 kids. The website must not be too accurate. Toledoans have been very successful at protesting demolitions of historic high schools. Many schools on the chopping block are still standing today, some still open, some undergoing renovation, some abandoned.

And a lot of abandoned schools set to come down in 2009 were not torn down. It's seriously just a big waste of money to create more vacant lots. The depression in Ohio may cause delays elsewhere too, which is a very good thing. The goal is to prevent as many of these structurally intact buildings from coming down as possible. They can make excellent apartments and studios, also community centers, shelters, etc. Cincinnati is trying the same thing:

Old school buildings often make attractive locations for other development. Solid masonry, large windows, high ceilings and possible tax credits make them enticing to developers. In Cincinnati, old public school buildings have been converted to office space, loft apartments, even a TV station. As the district implements its master plan, it will have to attract new developers to repurpose vacated buildings.

“The beauty of our plan is that we’re going to have a lot of time in most cases to come up with creative reuses for those buildings,” Burson says. “There are a lot of success stories in Cincinnati already.”

http://www.peterli.com/spm/resources/articles/archive.php?article_id=538

The fate of our old school buildings is in our hands. Write your representatives, support historic preservation groups in your city. There are major tax credits to be had too (and Ohio is a prime candidate for these).
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 12:35:19 PM by C-Dawg Njaim »

Offline ink

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2010, 11:48:29 PM »
^It will all depend on approach. Cincinnati auctioned off a number of schools for potential preservation, allowing new owners to make conversion attempts. Other districts, such as Middletown, retain the buildings and try to find a reuse. If no alternatives are found quickly, then the district can move forward and utilize the OSFC funds for demolition. Part of the theory is that the district is being a good stewart and removing a vacant building if no reuse is available immediately. The main reason districts want to demolish, however, is to prevent the opening of a charter school, which would give them competition.

Toledo Public Schools has ongoing carrying costs for the buildings, even if they are vacant. I would be very hesitant not to say the buildings are endangered until a reuse proposal actually comes to the table.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 11:55:26 PM by ink »

Offline C-Dawg

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Detroit Junior
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2010, 12:00:00 AM »
The main reason districts want to demolish, however, is to prevent the opening of a charter school, which would give them competition.

And you know what? The charter school thing has happened a lot in Toledo. I'm fine with it because many historic landmarks (Devilbiss High, Macomber High, etc.) have been spared from demolition. Without charter schools, I'm pretty certain they would have been demolished by now. Charter schools have saved urban landmarks that were abandoned by the mainstream public schools. If anything, we should be congratulating them.

And you're right, the big reason the mainstream public school system will push for demolition is to be anti-competitive. They hate charter schools, and that is absolutely a big motive for demolition. Of course a closed school building makes an excellent charter school. It's already built for it!

Toledo Public Schools has ongoing carrying costs for the buildings, even if they are vacant. I would be very hesitant not to say the buildings are endangered until a reuse proposal actually comes to the table.

They are in danger, but they're in danger everywhere right now. Delay is about the best Toledo can do at the time until there is demand for other uses. A lot of people like to talk about the "evils" of charter schools, but they seem to have saved as many if not more historic buildings than the mainstream public school system.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 12:16:33 AM by C-Dawg Njaim »

Offline asher519

• 367'-PNC Bank
Re: Grand Ohio Public High Schools
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2010, 01:33:06 PM »
Dayton - Steele High School (demolished late 1940s)

"Trying to cure traffic congestion by adding more capacity is like trying to cure obesity by loosening your belt."

Online buckeye1

• Premium Member
  • UO Certified "Thread Cleaner"
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2010, 09:04:09 PM »
Cleveland Central High (built 1878 - relocated 1940, merged with East Tech 1952)

Cleveland East Technical High (built 1908, replaced 1972)

The 1972 replacement:

« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 09:05:25 PM by buckeye1 »

Offline edale

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2010, 11:26:08 PM »
My alma mater, The Summit Country Day School (Cincinnati)

Offline MyTwoSense

• 40+ and Fly
  • 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • back with a vengeance!
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2010, 07:35:58 AM »
Shaker Heights and Cleveland Heights have to be included.  As well many of their elementary and middle schools are of historic/grand nature.
my 2 ˘     Please Sell Crazy Someplace Else....We Have Excess Inventory Here!!

Offline ManorBorn

• 408'-Kettering Tower
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2010, 11:15:13 AM »
Shaker Heights and Cleveland Heights have to be included. 

Are there any plans to tear down that delightful addition on the front of Cleveland Heights?  What were they thinking?

Offline Hts121

• UO Supporting Member
  • It's still just like your opinion, man
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2010, 11:52:31 AM »
Yeah... the science wing on the front of CHHS is ugly as sh!te and really hides the beautiful courtyard in front of the old main entrance.  While the space was necessary, I really wish they would have thought of a better way to do it.  If for no other reason, you'd think they would have wanted to maintain the "H" shape of the school.
It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg - Thomas Jefferson

Offline ss14

• 0'-Surface Lot
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2010, 12:19:20 PM »
Hide the kids, it's the "Soldier Field" of high school campuses, my alma mater, Lakewood High.

The old photo is just the original main building and the adjoining women's building.

The new photo includes the Civic Auditorium and New Building on the west side of the school (forgivable), as well as a gym and cafeteria smack in front of the old entrance (unforgivable).

Offline urbanforever

• 629'-Rhodes State Tower
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2010, 12:32:01 PM »
What historic high schools does Toledo have left after the demolisions?

Offline LAsam

• AKA Gold42
  • 665'-Queen City Square
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2010, 02:11:09 PM »
Great idea for a thread Ink.  I never attended a historic school as I went through the Hilliard system which is all fairly new.  LOVE East High School in Columbus architecturally... but I definately wouldn't want to attend classes there!
The Dude Abides

Offline C-Dawg

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
  • Detroit Junior
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2010, 06:00:44 PM »
What historic high schools does Toledo have left after the demolisions?

None have actually been demolished. Waite and Scott were saved as part of TPS and received funding for renovations. Saving Scott became a major campaign issue in 2008 and won. Devilbiss is still proudly standing on Upton. I think Macomber is abandoned, but not part of any demolition plans. Libbey High is still open and part of TPS. So many people protested its closure, it stayed open. Libbey Junior High was demolished. Woodward High may be demolished when the new one opens (not sure on that).

Most of the demolitions in Toledo that have actually gone through have been the modernist annex high schools, meaning Start, Bowsher, and Rogers. Those were leveled and rebuilt as part of TPS.

In terms of demolitions in Toledo's plan, it mostly hit primary schools. East Toledo may have lost  half of its historic elementary schools. The new ones were at least built in an urban fashion (minimal setbacks, multi-story, etc.), but the architecture can't hold a candle to what they replaced. But there is still a treasure trove of abandoned school buildings in Toledo that have historic landmark quality and potential for conversion. Many demolitions were put on hold, and there have been last minute additions to the renovation category due to protests. Citizens have also argued to keep some abandoned school buildings standing so they can be used for other things. There are now nearly as many charter schools in historic buildings as there are TPS schools in historic buildings! That's how big the charter system has grown in Toledo.

Here's just a short list of charter schools that have gone into existing buildings in urban Toledo:

Toledo School for the Arts (former auto factory)
Life Skills Center of Toledo
Toledo Maritime Academy
Autism Academy of Learning
Glass City Academy
Academy of Business & Technology
Horizon Science Academy
Eagle Academy
Paul Lawrence Dunbar Academy
Aurora Academy
Clay Avenue Community School
Imani Learning Academy
Lake Erie Academy
Meadows Choice Community School
Summit Academy
*the list goes on

In short, a ton of abandoned school buildings in Toledo have been saved by the charter schools. They've saved both former TPS and former Catholic Diocese buildings. On top of that, historic warehouses and factories have also been saved.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 12:27:37 PM by C-Dawg Njaim »

Offline Clevelander17

• 2717'-Burj Khalifa
Re: Grand and Historic Ohio Public High Schools
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2010, 05:05:53 PM »
Great thread, here's a few from Cleveland's eastern suburbs:

Brush High School, Lyndhurst

Shaker Heights High School

Shaw High School, East Cleveland

Cleveland Heights High School

« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 05:07:49 PM by Clevelander17 »

Offline FerrariEnzo

• 665'-Queen City Square
  • Kingpin
Re: Grand and Historic Ohio Public High Schools
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2010, 06:16:07 PM »
Holy good lord those pictures from the initial post of the first three or four Cinci schools are AMAZING.  As for some of these demolitions such as the Dayton-Steele, makes me want to cry.  I can't help but think they could be rehabed in a manor similar to Tower Press in Cleveland... oh well.

Hathaway Brown is also grand though it is not just high school, it was built in 1927.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 06:18:44 PM by FerrariEnzo »
Work hard.

Remove Ads